As a number of recent exhibitions of the work of Lucian Freud opens throughout London to mark his centenary, this episode is all about this main determine in post-war British portray.
Ben Luke takes a tour of the foremost present on the Nationwide Gallery, which guarantees new views on his work, with its curator, Daniel Herrmann. Martin Gayford discusses Freud’s little-explored letters, gathered in Love Lucian, a brand new e-book that Gayford has co-edited with Freud’s former assistant David Dawson.
And this episode’s Work of the Week is the portray Mare Consuming Hay (2006). The gallerist Pilar Ordovas, who labored intently with Freud in his later years, discusses the centrepiece of her new exhibition, Horses and Freud.
• Lucian Freud: New Views, Nationwide Gallery, London, 1 October– 2 January 2023
• David Dawson and Martin Gayford (eds), Love Lucian: The Letters of Lucian Freud 1939-1954, Thames & Hudson, 392 pp, £65/$95 (hb)
• Freud and Horses, Ordovas, till 16 December
Different Freud exhibitions in London this autumn:
• Lucian Freud: The Painter and His Household, Freud Museum, till 29 January 2023
• Lucian Freud: B.A.T, Lyndsey Ingram, till 4 November
• Lucian Freud: Inside Life, with pictures by David Dawson, Hazlitt Holland-Hibbert, 6 October-16 December
• Lucian Freud: Plant Portraits, Backyard Museum, 14 October-5 March 2023
• Associates and Relations: Lucian Freud, Francis Bacon, Frank Auerbach, Michael Andrews, Gagosian Gallery, 18 November-28 January 2023